Bible Verses about Liars – What does God Think about Lying
Table of Contents
Bible Verses about Liars
- Proverbs 12:22 – “Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are His delight.” This verse speaks of the Lord’s hatred for liars and His pleasure in those who act faithfully and truthfully.
- Proverbs 6:16-19 – “There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to Him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.” This list of seven things that the Lord hates includes lying as one of the abominations.
- Proverbs 19:5 – “A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape.” This verse warns us that those who tell lies will not escape punishment.
- Proverbs 17:4 – “An evildoer listens to wicked lips, and a liar gives ear to a mischievous tongue.” This verse reminds us that liars are drawn to other liars and wickedness.
- Proverbs 21:6 – “The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a fleeting vapor and a snare of death.” This verse warns us against the deceptive and temporary rewards of lying.
- Exodus 20:16 – “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.” This is one of the Ten Commandments and it forbids us from lying about our neighbor.
- Psalm 101:7 – “He who works deceit shall not dwell within my house; he who tells lies shall not continue in my presence.” This verse shows us God’s intolerance for deceit and lying and that He will not allow it in His presence.
- Proverbs 10:18 – “The one who conceals hatred has lying lips, and whoever utters slander is a fool.” This verse warns us that those who are capable of hatred are also capable of lying.
- Ephesians 4:25 – “Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.” This verse reminds us that we should speak the truth to our neighbors, as we are all members of the same family in Christ.
- Psalm 101:5 – “Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure.” This verse reminds us that God will not tolerate those who slander their neighbor and lie.
- Proverbs 19:9 – “A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will perish.” This verse warns us that those who tell lies will not escape punishment.
- Colossians 3:9 – “Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices.” This verse tells us that we should no longer practice the habit of lying, as we have put off our old selves in Christ.
- 1 John 2:21 – “I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.” This verse reminds us that lies are not of the truth, and that we should not believe or practice them.
- Proverbs 14:5 – “A faithful witness does not lie, but a false witness breathes out lies.” This verse tells us that those who are faithful do not lie, while those who are not faithful will tell lies.
- Proverbs 19:1 – “Better is a poor person who walks in his integrity than one who is crooked in speech and is a fool.” This verse encourages us to remain honest, even if we are poor, rather than to tell lies and be a fool.
- Proverbs 12:19 – “Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment.” This verse reminds us that truth endures, while lies are fleeting.
- Romans 1:29 – “They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips.” This verse lists deceit and gossip as two of the sins that are prevalent in the world.
- Proverbs 12:17 – “He who speaks truth tells what is right, but a false witness, deceit.” This verse reminds us that only truth speaks right, while lies are deceitful.
- Proverbs 19:22 – “What is desired in a man is steadfast love, and a poor man is better than a liar.” This verse encourages us to practice steadfast love and to be truthful, even if we are poor.
- John 8:44 – “You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” This verse describes the devil as the father of lies and tells us that lies originate from him.
- Zechariah 8:16 – “These are the things that you shall do: Speak the truth to one another; render in your gates judgments that are true and make for peace.” This verse encourages us to practice truthfulness and to make peace with our judgments.
- Titus 1:2 – “In hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began.” This verse reminds us that God does not lie and that He promised us eternal life before the ages began.
- 1 Timothy 1:10 – “The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine.” This verse includes liars as one of the things that are contrary to sound doctrine.
- Revelation 21:8 – “But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” This verse warns us that liars will suffer the second death in the lake of fire.
- Proverbs 26:28 – “A lying tongue hates its victims, and a flattering mouth works ruin.” This verse warns us that lying and flattering can both be destructive.
Best Bible Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
Below is a table featuring some highly regarded Bible Encyclopedias and Dictionaries along with their publishers and websites where they can be found or purchased.
|The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia||Eerdmans||Eerdmans|
|Zondervan’s Pictorial Bible Dictionary||Zondervan||Zondervan|
|Easton’s Bible Dictionary||Thomas Nelson||Thomas Nelson|
|Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary||B&H Publishing Group||B&H Publishing Group|
|The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary||Moody Publishers||Moody Publishers|
|HarperCollins Bible Dictionary||HarperOne||HarperOne|
|Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words||Thomas Nelson||Thomas Nelson|
You can generally find these resources on the publishers’ websites, as well as other online book retailers such as Amazon or Christianbook. It’s always good practice to confirm availability and review additional details on the specific websites or other reliable online bookstores.Purpose of Life Launcher by Gregory Gaines Purpose of Life Launcher by Gregory Gaines