15 Unique Biblical Facts about Jacob, with verse and Description
Table of Contents
15 Unique Biblical Facts about Jacob
- Jacob was the son of Isaac and Rebekah, the grandson of Abraham and Sarah (Genesis 25:21).
- He was born holding his twin brother Esau’s heel (Genesis 25:26).
- He was the father of the twelve tribes of Israel (Genesis 35:22-26).
- He was the first person to receive a new name from God, being renamed Israel (Genesis 32:28).
- Jacob wrestled with an angel of the Lord and received a blessing from him (Genesis 32:24-30).
- He tricked his brother Esau out of his birthright (Genesis 25:29-34).
- He worked for his uncle Laban for seven years, only to be tricked into marrying his cousin Rachel (Genesis 29:15-30).
- He wrestled with the angel again at Peniel, where he received another blessing (Genesis 32:24-30).
- He built an altar at Bethel after he had a dream of angels ascending and descending a ladder (Genesis 28:10-19).
- He was reunited with his brother Esau after twenty years of estrangement (Genesis 33:1-4).
- He experienced a vision of God (Genesis 32:24-30).
- His descendants formed the nation of Israel (Genesis 46:8).
- He was the ancestor of Joseph, the husband of Mary, the mother of Jesus (Matthew 1:2).
- He is considered one of the three Patriarchs of the Jewish faith, along with Abraham and Isaac (Genesis 25:19-21).
- He is mentioned over 170 times in the Bible, more than any other person in the Old Testament (Genesis 25:21-26).